Engineering Section Head Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Houston, TX, US
Research, Development, Engineering & Quality
Goodyear Talent Acquisition Representative: Heather Rodriguez
Sponsorship Available: No
Relocation Assistance Available: No
Plan/organize and direct all Engineering activities of the Engineering team. Implementing timely and cost-effective capital projects to sustain or improve operational efficiency and compliance with regulatory agencies.
Ensure that all processes and procedures for which the Engineering team is responsible will aid in the safe operation of the plant in an environmentally-compliant manner and produce a quality product.
Drive plans to avoid obsolescence issues and evaluate/recommend new equipment technology.
- Hands-on leader who develops and manages engineering budget/cost control/schedule within the Engineering team. Prepares budgets, bid requests, and contracts for capital and expense projects.
- Sets objectives and provides oversight regarding the purpose, function and roles within team or project to include but not limited to, setting priorities, allocating resources, distribution of workload, establishment of deadlines and work quality expectations.
- Develop workflow process for more efficient project scope and execution. Set direction, priorities and allocate resources within team; define job roles, determine work to be completed and make assignments to staff.
- Develop and manage construction, equipment and hardware specifications. Communicate the specifications as necessary to team, suppliers, and consultants and ensure correct and efficient implementation of new solutions.
- Manage team training needs to maintain current skills. Obtain contract resources where needed.
- Assure compliance with environmental, health, and safety (EHS) Corporate standards.
- Drives Corporate global safety initiative NO One Gets Hurt. Actively participate in plant Target Zero safety process to include: Accident/Incident investigations, Near misses, Safety observation systems.
- Maintain transportation systems and production facilities for the product supply chain.
- Direct repair and construction of railroads, plant roofs, underground storm, sanitary, and process waste systems.
- Assist General Merchandising Materials Control by preparing operating lease budgets for rail cars and fork trucks from FASB-13 information.
- Manage systems to maintain, develop and enhance technical depth of associates on team.
- Develop a technical training plan for each associate to assure associate technical growth is achieved.
- Career development of technical associates to include succession planning.
Experience and Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.
- Miniumum of 8 years of experience in a manufacturing facility to include as many of the following assignments as possible, project engineer, maintenance engineer, facilities and utilities engineer, work group or team leader.
- Experience in managing budgets and cost accounting practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and team-building skills in a union environment (preferred).
- P.E. license a plus.
- Must have knowledge of engineering standards such as NFPA, OSHA, ASME, API, UBC, etc. and be able to apply in a wide range of problem-solving.
- Have a sound understanding of pump curves and piping systems, machine design, and process design including blue print reading, process flow diagrams, and piping and instrumentation diagrams.
- Requires strong communication, business, technical, analytical, planning and people skills.
- Personal computer skills to include Office 365 suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) required.
Goodyear is one of the world’s largest tire companies. It employs about 62,000 people and manufactures its products in 46 facilities in 21 countries around the world. Its two Innovation Centers in Akron, Ohio and Colmar-Berg, Luxembourg strive to develop state-of-the-art products and services that set the technology and performance standard for the industry. For more information about Goodyear and its products, go to www.goodyear.com/corporate.
Goodyear is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to that individual's race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need reasonable accommodation to complete the online application, or any other part of the employment process, please contact the Goodyear Candidate Care Line at 330.796.4500.